Vietnam-World Bank Climate Projects
World Bank Active Climate Projects in Vietnam
- System Efficiency Improvement, Equitization & Renewables Project (GEF Renewable Component) (4.5M) Global Environment Project
- System Efficiency Improvement, Equitization & Renewables Project (225M) IBRD/IDA
- Vietnam Renewable Energy Development Project (202M) IBRD/IDA
- Demand-Side Management & Energy Efficiency Project (5.5M) Global Environment Project
- Vietnam National CFC and Halon Phaseout Project (1.5M) Montreal Protocol
- VN-GEF-RURAL ENERGY 2 (5.25M) Global Environment Project
- Hanoi Urban Transport Development Project GEF component (9.8M) Global Environment Project
- Clean Production and Energy Efficiency
System Efficiency Improvement, Equitization & Renewables Project (GEF Renewable Component)
System Efficiency Improvement, Equitization & Renewables Project
"The objective of the Project is to improve the overall efficiency of power system services, particularly to the poor in rural areas, by optimizing the transmission systems, and upgrading sub-transmissions, and medium voltage distribution lines for rural electrification. The project components are as follows:
- Power system efficiency will be improved by upgrading the 500 KV, and 200 KV transmission networks, and associated substations, which includes the installation of capacitors to selected substations. The system peak load will be reduced, through the implementation of several demand-side management (DSM) measures - to be supported by an associated DSM and Energy Efficiency Project, financed by the Global Environment Facility and the private sector - in an aim to further DSM impacts, and catalyze the development of sustainable energy efficiency.
- Rural electricity access will be improved by upgrading, and strengthening the 110 KV sub-transmission line, and substations, restoring five existing hydropower plants, and, by construction of a small-scale hybrid wind-diesel power plant at Phu Quoc Island. Moreover, a pilot of twenty community-based hybrid renewable-energy grids in remote areas, will be tried and developed.
- Sector reform, and institutional development will be pursued, through improvements in the management information system, the creation of one District, and several commune-level joint-stock distribution companies, and, by strengthening the regulation, planning, and implementation capacity for renewable electricity. To this end, operational training, and technical assistance will be provided."
Vietnam Renewable Energy Development Project
"The objective of the Renewable Energy Development Project for Vietnam is to increase the supply of electricity to the national grid from renewable energy sources on a commercially, environmentally, and socially sustainable basis. There are three components to the project. The first component of the project is renewable energy investments. There are two sub-components to the component. The first sub-component of the project is credit to support renewable energy investments. This sub-component will provide a re-financing facility to participating commercial banks (PBs) for loans to eligible renewable-based projects not exceeding 30MW developed by private sponsors. The second sub-component of the project is technical assistance for investment implementation. This subcomponent will provide technical assistance for application review, monitoring the eligibility of PBs and developers, project management by Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) and for building the capacity of PBs and developers to prepare, appraise, finance, and implement renewable-based projects according to international best practices. The second component of the project is regulatory development. This component will provide technical assistance for developing the regulatory infrastructure and building the requisite capacities of MOIT, the electricity regulatory authority of Vietnam, and other relevant government agencies for renewable energy development particularly for grid-connected electricity generation projects not exceeding 30 MW. The third component of the project is pipeline development. This component will support activities to facilitate the development of further renewable energy projects contributing directly to building a pipeline of renewable energy projects."
Demand-Side Management & Energy Efficiency Project
Vietnam National CFC and Halon Phaseout Project
VN-GEF-RURAL ENERGY 2
Hanoi Urban Transport Development Project GEF component
Clean Production & Energy Efficiency
"The development objective of the Clean Production and Energy Efficiency Project is to strengthen the capacity of the socialist Republic of Vietnam and other key stakeholders for the effective delivery of the national energy efficiency program in key industrial sectors, thereby improving energy efficiency and reducing associated greenhouse gas emissions. There are three components to the project. The first component of the project is energy efficiency action plans for key industrial sectors. This component will provide technical assistance for the activities such as: formulation of energy efficiency strategies and action plans for energy-intensive and high growth industrial sectors; and establishment and implementation of voluntary agreements with pilot enterprises in such sectors. The second component of the project is development of energy service providers. This component will provide technical assistance for the development of energy service providers, key market players, and other stakeholders for purposes of establishment of a mechanism for the delivery of increased energy savings in the energy efficiency market. The third component of the project is capacity building for program management, and monitoring and evaluation. This component will support capacity building of Ministry of Industry and Trade's (MOIT's) Energy Efficiency and Conservation Office (EECO) through provision of expert assistance and training activities in implementation, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of various energy efficiency projects, programs, and policies."