Vietnam-Status and Potential for the Development of Biofuels and Rural Renewable Energy
"This study aims to provide a preliminary assessment of the long-term commercial viability of a biofuel program in Viet Nam. Its four main objectives are
- to identify promising areas for investment in biofuel development in Viet Nam;
- to assess the implications of biofuel development for crop diversification, land use patterns, farm restructuring, and cross-border contract farming;
- to determine appropriate public–private partnerships that will help promote market-driven business ventures in the biofuels subsector; and
- to review current country policies on bioenergy and provide policy recommendations for a new national strategy.
To meet these objectives, this study surveys and evaluates the
- market outlook for biofuels with a review of prospects for supply and demand development;
- characteristics of the biofuels resource base,including biofuel feedstocks and production technology;
- prioritization of biofuel development based on simple cost–benefit analysis;
- biofuels business options and alternative agribusiness models; and
- policy, regulatory, and institutional support,and policy gaps in agricultural planning and legislation for biofuel development."