USDA - Repowering Assistance Biorefinery Program (Federal)
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
Financial Incentive Program
|Name||USDA - Repowering Assistance Biorefinery Program|
|Incentive Type||Federal Grant Program|
|Applicable Sector||Commercial, Industrial, Local Government, Construction, Utility, State Government, Tribal Government, Fed. Government, Municipal Utility, Investor-Owned Utility, Rural Electric Cooperative, Agricultural, Institutional|
|Eligible Technologies||Landfill Gas, Biomass, Municipal Solid Waste, Ethanol, Biodiesel|
|Energy Category||Renewable Energy Incentive Programs|
|Equipment Requirements||A facility (including equipment and processes) that converts renewable biomass into biofuels and biobased products, and may produce electricity.|
|Installation Requirements||Biorefineries must have been in existence on or before June 18, 2008|
|Maximum Incentive||50% of the total project costs|
|Program Administrator||US Department of Agriculture|
|Date added to DSIRE||2012-10-08|
|Last DSIRE Review||2014-10-08|
|References||DSIREDatabase of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency|
The Repowering Assistance Program provides payments to eligible biorefineries to replace fossil fuels used to produce heat or power to operate the biorefineries with renewable biomass. Reimbursement payments are provided to offset a portion of the costs associated with the conversion of existing fossil fuel systems to renewable biomass fuel systems.
The reimbursement amounts vary and are determined by the availability of funds, the project scope, and the ability of the proposed project to meet all the scoring criteria. In particular reimbursement amounts are calculated by the percentage reduction in fossil fuel used by the biorefinery, the quantity of fossil fuels replaced by a renewable biomass system, and the cost effectiveness of the renewable biomass system. The program will provide reimbursement payments for eligible project costs of the renewable biomass system during the construction phase of the repowering project. Up to 90% of the funds can be utilized during project construction, with the remaining 10% made upon demonstration of successful completion of the project. A maximum of 50% of the total project costs can be reimbursed, as long as amount does not exceed the maximum award for the fiscal year.
Eligible technologies may include, but are not limited to, anaerobic digesters, processed steam, biomass boilers, or combined heat and power technologies (CHP). Applicants must demonstrate, at the time of application, that the proposed site has direct access to biomass or third party commitments to supply biomass for the repowering project for at least three years.
Payments are made for eligible post-application costs incurred during the construction phase of the repowering project.
Congress allocated $35 million for FY 2009, in addition to up to $15 million in discretionary funds annually beginning in FY 2009. The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 extended discretionary funding through FY 2013.
|Department||U.S. Department of Agriculture|
|Division||Rural Business - Cooperative Service|
|Address||USDA/RBS, Room 5045-S, Mail Stop 3201|
|Address 2||1400 Independence Avenue SW|
|Place||Washington, District of Columbia|
Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)
|Authority 1:||Repowering Assistance Payment Instructions|
|Authority 2:||9004 Interim Rule|
|Authority 3:||7 USC § 8104|
|Authority 4:||H.R. 8 (American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012)|
- Incentive and policy data are reviewed and approved by the N.C. Solar Center's DSIRE project staff.