Transmission Project Tools
The following tools are available for anyone planning a transmission project.
1. Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP) - Section 106 Applicant Toolkit
A toolkit to provide information and guidance on the Section 106 process to parties who are the recipients of, or are applying for federal licenses, permits, assistance, or approvals. Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 (NHPA) requires Federal agencies to take into account the effects of their undertakings on historic properties, and afford the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation a reasonable opportunity to comment.
2. Arizona Game and Fish Department - Arizona Online Environmental Review Tool
An on-line environmental review tool that provides current, reliable, objective information on Arizona’s plant and wildlife species location and status to aid in the environmental decision making process.
3. Arizona Game and Fish Department - HabiMap Arizona
A web-based tool that allows users to visually explore the distribution of Arizona’s wildlife, potential stressors to wildlife, the Species and Habitat Conservation Guide, and other relevant data.
4. California Department of Fish and Wildlife - Areas of Conservation Emphasis (ACE-II) An interactive mapping tool that provides data on biological richness, including species diversity, rarity, and sensitive habitats statewide to help guide and inform conservation priorities in California.
5. California Public Utilities Commission - Proponent’s Environmental Assessment (PEA) Checklist for Transmission Line and Substation Projects
A PDF with a Proponent’s Environmental Assessment (PEA) checklist for transmission from CPUC guidance on the permitting process.
6. Department of Energy (DOE) - eTrans Federal Permitting Transmission Tracking System
An online database that tracks the status of transmission line projects permitted under a multi-agency federal MOU and affiliated Rapid Response Team for Transmission (RRTT). This system provides information on physical aspects of the transmission line, agency contact information, and permits required for the project.
7. Edison Electric Institute (EEI) - State Generation & Transmission Siting Directory
A directory that provides contacts, as well as generation and transmission regulation information for Primary Siting Agencies in all 50 states.
8. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) - A Guide to the FERC electric Transmission Facilities Process
A guide that provides information on FERC's permitting process, including the scope of their authority, filing requirements, the review process, and applicable FERC contact information.
9. Idaho Geospatial Office - Interactive Numeric & Spatial Information Data Engine (INSIDE) Idaho
A set of services that include data delivery and mapping capabilities that allow for the efficient processing of geospatial data into deliverable data and maps. These services allow users to link to data rather than having to download it to their local machines.
10. Kansas Biological Survey - Southern Great Plains Crucial Habitat Assessment Tool
An online mapping application created by a coalition of states at the request of the Western Governors Association’s Wildlife Council to provide information on lesser prairie-chicken (LEPC) habitat (and other species in coming years) to help facilitate responsible development of natural resources. Encompasses portions of Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.
11. Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks - Crucial Areas Planning Systems (CAPS)
An online tool that maps crucial habitat as well as key wildlife connectivity areas in Montana. The aim of the mapping system is to consider fish, wildlife, and recreational resources earlier on when planning for future development.
12. Montana State Library - Montana Geographic Information Clearinghouse
An online resource where geographers from the Montana State Library develop and maintain an extensive collection of Montana's geographically referenced information about the cultural and natural resources for the state.
13. National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) - Glossary of Transmission Grid Integration Terms
An extensive glossary of terms and concepts, useful for background information and sharing with project participants.
14. U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) - State Electricity Profiles
A data resource that provides an overview and in-depth electricity statistics for each state. Statistics include information on net generation, total retail sales, average retail price, and each state's primary energy source.
15. U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) - U.S. Energy Mapping System
An online mapping tool with multiple detailed layers showing various energy resources (including pipeline and transmission, oil and gas wells and platforms, and power plants) and their locations throughout the country. Energy sources can be displayed on geographic, satellite, topographical, and street map options. This site also includes a description for each map layer and the date maps were updated.
16. Utah Office of Energy Development - 080913 (cd ver).pdf Guide to Permitting Electric Transmission Lines in Utah
A guide that outlines the process for permitting electrical transmission lines in Utah, and is intended to serve as a resource for the benefit of transmission project developers, utilities, landowners, and state regulators.
17. Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife - Priority Habitats and Species (PHS)
An interactive mapping tool that provides important fish, wildlife, and habitat information to local governments, state and federal agencies, private landowners and consultants, and tribal biologists for land use planning purposes.
18. Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (WAFWA) - Crucial Habitat Assessment Tool (CHAT)
An online system of maps displaying crucial wildlife habitat and corridors across the West. CHAT is designed to reduce conflicts and surprises while ensuring wildlife values are incorporated into land use planning, particularly for large-scale linear projects. It is a non-regulatory tool and not intended for project-level approval.
19. Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Authoritative Agency Geospatial Data
An interactive search tool that provides general geospatial GIS data for the following: Big Game; Admin boundaries; Habitat: Miscellaneous Game; State Wildlife Action Plan; Stream/Lake database. This site as an alternative to the Geospatial Data web page.
20. Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Wyoming Interagency Spatial Database & Online Management (WISDOM)
An application that provides landscape-level information about Wyoming's wildlife resources during the early stages of project planning. WISDOM is a non-regulatory tool designed for initial assessment only, providing visual exploration of wildlife data while preserving the confidentiality of sensitive data.