Exploration Technique: Thermochronometry
|Exploration Technique Information|
|Exploration Group:||Geochemical Techniques|
|Exploration Sub Group:||Geochemical Data Analysis|
|Parent Exploration Technique:||Geochemical Data Analysis|
|Information Provided by Technique|
|Thermal:||Thermal history of area, rate of cooling, age that minerals reached closure temperature|
There are many isotopes and minerals that can be used for radiometric dating and therefore many different ways to perform a thermochronology study. Some examples of thermochronology methods used in geothermal studies are: 40Ar/39Ar dating in the minerals hornblende, muscovite, biotite, and k-feldspar, (U-Th)/He dating of apatite, zircon, sphene, and fluorite., and U-Pb dating of garnet, zircon, allanite, monzanite, and sphene.
- Kurilovitch, L.; Norman, D.; Heizler, M.; Moore, J.; McCulloch, J.. 1/1/2003. 40AR/39AR THERMAL HISTORY OF THE COSO GEOTHERMAL FIELD. Proceedings of (!) ; (!) : PROCEEDINGS, Twenty-Eighth Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering Stanford University, Stanford, California, January 27-29, 2003.
- Wells, M.; Sneem L.; Blythe, A. . 7/10/2000. Dating of major normal fault systems using thermochronology- An example from the Raft River detachment, Basin and Range, western United States. J. Geophys. Res.. (!) .
- Curtin University. John De Laeter Centre For Isotope Research [Internet]. 2013. Curtin University. Curtin University. [cited 2013/10/28]. Available from: http://jdlc.curtin.edu.au/research/geochron.cfm
- Kyle Gorynski,Danny Stockli,J. Douglas Walker,Andrew Sabin. 2010. Application of (U-Th)/He Thermochronometry as a Geothermal Exploration Tool in Extensional Tectonic Settings: The Wassuk Range, Hawthorne, Nevada. GRC Transactions. 34:685-688.
- Terrence Blackburn,Samuel A. Bowring,Blair Schoene,Kevin Mahan,Francis Dudas. 2011. U-Pb Thermochronology: Creating a Temporal Record of Lithosphere Thermal Evolution. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology. 162(3):479-500.