The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative: Sector Specific Tools
From Open Energy Information
The Greenhouse Gas Protocol's sector specific tools consist of several free Excel workbooks designed to calculate GHG emissions from specific sectors or industries. Independent workbooks are available for estimating emissions from the production of aluminum, cement, iron and steel, lime, ammonia, cement (CSI), nitric acid, adipic acid, and HCFC-22, as well as from pulp and paper mills. The methodologies embedded in the sector specific tools are based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol developed by the World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). These calculators can be used to develop baseline and annual GHG tracking inventories for specific industrial processes that may exist within a community.
Inputs and Outputs
Inputs include: Inputs vary according to the tool but usually require the user to specify production data (e.g., amount of adipic acid produced per year), and any emissions control technologies used. In some cases, data related to consumption of materials (e.g., clinker consumption for cement production, or reducing agents and blast furnace additives used in the production of iron and steel) is also necessary.
Outputs include: Outputs vary according to tool, but all tools calculate total amount of greenhouse gas emissions (carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, methane, carbon dioxide equivalent, and biogenic carbon, as applicable) emitted during the reporting period by a specific industrial process.
The GHG Protocol sector specific tools are each accompanied by a detailed guidance document to assist the user in understanding and using the tool.
The sector specific tools can be used separately or in conjunction to develop a GHG inventory of various emissions sources within a community. Separate cross-sector calculators are available for emissions from purchased electricity, stationary combustion, mobile combustion, and refrigeration and air conditioning equipment.
- "The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative: GHG Emissions from Purchased Electricity"
- "The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative: GHG Emissions from Stationary Combustion"
- "The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative: GHG Emissions from Transport or Mobil Sources"
- "The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative: GHG Emissions from a Combined Heat and Power Plant"
- "The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative: GHG Emissions from Refrigeration and Air Conditioning"
- "The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative: Measurement and Estimation of Uncertainty of GHG Emissions"