Stage 4: Prioritizing and Planning for Actions
- 2.1. Assess current country plans, policies, practices, and capacities
- 2.2. Compile lessons learned and good practices from ongoing and previous sustainable development efforts in the country
- 2.3. Assess public and private sector capacity to support initiatives
- 2.4. Assess and improve the national GHG inventory and other economic and resource data as needed for LEDS development
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory Development Toolkit
- 3a. Analytical Decision Making - Developing BAU Scenario
- 3b. Analytical Decision Making - Assessing Opportunities
- 3b.1. Assess technical potential for sector technologies
- Renewable Energy Technical Potential Toolkit
- Building Energy Assessment Toolkit
- Power System Screening and Design Toolkit
- Land Use Assessment Toolkit
- Bioenergy Assessment Toolkit
- Transportation Assessment Toolkit
- 3b.2. Assess economic and market potential of technologies and initiatives
- Clean Energy Market Analysis Toolkit
- 3b.3. Prioritize development options
- 3c. Analytical Decision Making - Developing and Assessing Low Emissions Development Scenarios
- 3c.1. Develop low emissions growth scenarios
- 3c.2. Assess institutional framework for LEDS
- Financing Initiatives Toolkit
- Policy and Program Design Toolkit
- 3c.3. Assess in-depth contributions of selected scenarios to goals across sectors
- Land-use Scenario Analysis Toolkit
- Energy System and Scenario Analysis Toolkit
- 3c.4. Perform multi-criteria impact analysis and assess stakeholder responses
- Clean Energy Impact Assessment Tool
- Sustainable Land-use Impact Assessment Toolkit
4.1 Preparations for Implementation
Implementation plans require significant investments in time and resources. All stages of this framework highlight elements critical to implementation, e.g., assessing the ability to attract private investment and the capacity needed to implement each proposed policy. This stage emphasizes developing a detailed plan for monitoring, evaluating, and refining LEDS over time. It is important that monitoring and evaluation plans be tailored to meet specific country needs (e.g., to meet international carbon reduction standards in order to sell reductions in international markets). Also, this stage highlights identifying and implementing an initial high priority action to achieve near-term and concrete results.
4.1.1 Review and refine proposed actions through stakeholder consultations
4.1.2 Refine action design as necessary
4.1.3 Finalize action recommendations
4.1.4 Review and refine goals
4.1.5 Gain country leadership endorsement of the goals and commitment to implement actions towards those goals
4.1.6 Identify responsible agencies
At this step stakeholders can identify agencies responsible for implementation of each measure in the plan and for monitoring and review of the plan.
4.1.7 Work with lead agencies to develop detailed implementation plans for each measure
- Implementation plan with timetable, roles and responsibilities, performance metrics, outreach and partnership activities, and plan for continuous monitoring and refinement LEDS implementation financing plan
- Public sector – domestic and international
- Private sector
- Current status of enabling environment for investment
- Recommendations on how to improve investment environment
- The responsible agencies will prepare detailed implementation plans related to each energy and land-use measure to ensure that actions proceed the planning process.
- The agencies will also develop a LEDS financing plan that seeks to harness public and private sector, domestic and international, financial and revenue flows.
4.1.8 Modify targets identified in the pathways analysis to be specific and measureable
Targets for deployment of technologies and land-use initiatives that were identified in stage 3c should be associated with specific measurement indices and actions. The following sub-steps can support this process.
- Establish performance indicators and process for measuring and reporting performance.
- Determine evaluation tools related to the previous sub-step and collect baseline data.
The following background documents can be used to inform this process.
The following are example products from other countries associated with this stage.
4.1.10 Establish process for an annual stakeholder review of progress and for refining the plan
- Design of measurement and monitoring system for emissions and removals
- Design of monitoring system for development and environment co-benefits
- Monitoring of LEDS implementation benchmarks
Stakeholders should meet annually to review progress related to the low emission development strategy and to further refine the plan based on changing national circumstances.
- To be added: Stakeholder review guide
- To be added: examples