Solar Contractor Licensing (California)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
Rules Regulations Policies Program
|Name||Solar Contractor Licensing|
|Incentive Type||Solar/Wind Contractor Licensing|
|Eligible Technologies||Passive Solar Space Heat, Photovoltaics, Solar Pool Heating, Solar Space Heat, Solar Thermal Electric, Solar Thermal Process Heat, Solar Water Heat, Radiant Heat|
|Energy Category|| Renewable Energy Incentive Programs
|Date added to DSIRE||2000-01-01|
|Last DSIRE Review|| 2013-07-23
The California Contractors State License Board administers contractor licenses. The C-46 Solar Contractor license covers active solar water and space heating systems, solar pool heating systems, and photovoltaic systems. C-46 requirements include four years of experience and passing the business and law exam and the trade exam. Independent license schools offer courses to prepare for license exams.
Other contractor licenses for solar include:
- A. General Engineering
- B. General Building
- C-4. Boiler, Hot Water Heating and Steam Fitting (for solar thermal systems)
- C-10. Electrical (for photovoltaics only)
- C-20. Warm-Air, HVAC (HVAC systems that utilize solar energy)
- C-36. Plumbing (solar thermal systems)
- C-53. Swimming Pool (for solar pool heating)
Complete descriptions of the contractor classifications are available here.
|Contact Name||Information Technician - CSLB|
|Department||California Contractors State License Board|
|Address||9821 Business Park Drive|
|Address 2||Post Office Box 26000|
|Phone 2|| (800) 321-2752
- Incentive and policy data are reviewed and approved by the N.C. Solar Center's DSIRE project staff.