RAPID/Solar/General Construction

< RAPID‎ | Solar
Jump to: navigation, search


Regulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Regulatory Information Overviews

Search for other summaries about Solar regulations and permitting.


Construction activities during solar project development require numerous permits from federal, state, and local governments. Activities that may require permits include transporting construction materials, encroaching upon federal and state right-of-ways, demolishing existing structures, building new structures and prevention of storm water runoff.

State and local governments require transportation permits for transporting oversized equipment and construction materials on public roads. State and local governments require an encroachment permit for any object placed in, over, or under a local or state right-of-way (i.e. towers, poles, pipelines, fences, and other structures), as well as when a private access road or driveway joins a public road. If the project will cause storm water to disturb the soil, the developer will need a state construction storm water permit. In addition, many communities (nearly 20,000) in the United States voluntarily participate in the National Flood Insurance Program by adopting and enforcing floodplain management ordinances to reduce future flood damage.

If the project will provide non-municipal drinking water, the developer should consult the Drinking Water Flowchart applicable to the state which the project will take place. Finally, local governments generally require permits for demolishing an existing structure, building a new structure, earthmoving and grading activities, or exceptions from local zoning regulations.

Does the information need to updated?
If so, simply click on the permitting location link to visit the page. After the Solar General Construction State page has loaded, use the Edit with form button to update.
My state isn't listed
If a state isn't listed in the table, it hasn't been entered in the RAPID toolkit. It is encouraged to add permitting information for any state that is currently not in the toolkit. Adding a state is easy, use the following link, and add the state name to the appropriate field (Solar General Construction in:) to start editing.
Add Solar General Construction for a state

Print PDF