< RAPID‎ | Roadmap
Jump to: navigation, search


Regulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit


Water Conservancy Board Transfer or Change of Water Right (19-WA-d)

In 1997, the Washington Legislature authorized the creation of water conservancy boards through the enactment of RCW 90.80 Water Conservancy Boards to expedite the administrative process for voluntary water right transfers within individual counties. In counties where a water conservancy board has been created, the board has the power to review applications for water transfers where the water proposed for transfer is currently diverted or would be diverted within that county under RCW 90.80.070. The Washington State Department of Ecology (WSDE) retains final approval of the water right transfer, whereby the local water conservancy board must submit its record of decision to the WSDE for final approval. ( RCW 90.80.080). This section highlights the general process for a water conservancy board to process a water right transfer or change application under RCW 90.80.070 and RCW 90.80.080.

Flowchart Narrative

19-WA-d.1 to 19-WA-d.4 - Has the Developer Already Filed an Application with WSDE that They Wish to put Before the Water Conservancy Board

A developer proposing to transfer a water right may elect to file a water right transfer with a water conservancy board, if a board has been created for the geographic area where the water is or would be diverted, withdrawn, or used. If the developer has already filed an application with the WSDE and wishes to put the application before the water conservancy board, the developer may request that the WSDE convey the application to the water conservancy board with jurisdiction over the water transfer. Upon a developer’s request, the WSDE must convey the application to the water conservancy board. The water conservancy board is not required to process an application for a water right transfer over which it has jurisdiction. If the water conservancy board decides not to process the application, the board must return the application to the developer and inform the developer that the application may be filed (or re-filed) with the WSDE.

19-WA-d.5 – Application to Transfer or Change an Existing Water Right

The Application to Transfer or Change an Existing Water Right is the same application used by the WSDE. The application includes information about:

  • The applicant;
  • The existing water right;
  • The existing and proposed point of diversion/withdrawal;
  • The existing and proposed purpose of use;
  • The existing and proposed place of use; and
  • Other relevant information to the transfer or change in water right.

The water conservancy board may require an applicant to submit, within a reasonable time, additional information as may the board may require in order to review and act upon the application. At a minimum the application must include information sufficient to establish to the board’s satisfaction that a right to the quantity of water being transferred exists, and a description of any applicable limitations on the right to use water (i.e., point of diversion or withdrawal, place of use, source of supply, purpose of use, quantity of use permitted, time of use, period of use, and place of storage).

19-WA-d.6 to 19-WA-d.8 – Is the Water Currently Withdrawn or Diverted or Would be Withdrawn or Diverted Outside the County or Water Resource Inventory Area Where the Use is Proposed

In case of a proposed water right transfer where the water is currently diverted or withdrawn or would be diverted or withdrawn outside the county or the water resource inventory area where the use is proposed to be made, the board must hold a public hearing in the county of the diversion or withdrawal or proposed diversion or withdrawal. The board must publish notice of the hearing in a newspaper of general circulation published in the county where the hearing will be held to provide an opportunity for interested persons to comment on the application. In addition, if the application is for a transfer of water outside of the water resource inventory area that is the source of the water, the water conservancy board must consult with the WSDE.

19-WA-d.9 – Publish Notice of Application and Send Notice to State Agencies and Indian Tribes (As Required)

After the developer files an application for a transfer with the water conservancy board, the board must:

  • Publish notice of the application and send notice to state agencies in accordance with the requirements of RCW 90.03.280;
  • Send notice of the application to any Indian tribe with reservation lands that would be, but for RCW 90.80.055(2), within the area in which the board has jurisdiction; and
  • Send notice to any Indian tribe that has requested that it be notified of a water right transfer application.

19-WA-d.10 – Hold Public Meetings to Discuss Application (As Required)

The water conservancy board may hold public meetings to discuss or decide on the water rights transfer application.

19-WA-d.11 – Submit Verbal or Written Comments at Meeting(s)

Any person may submit comments and other information to the water conservancy board regarding the application. The board must consider any comments it receives in making the record of decision for the water right transfer application.

19-WA-d.12 to 19-WA-d.14 - Does the Conservancy Board Determine the Application is Complete and the Transfer is in Accordance with RCW 90.03.380, 90.03.390, or 90.44.100

If a majority of the water conservancy board determines that the application is complete and the transfer is in accordance with RCW 90.03.380, RCW 90.03.390, or RCW 90.44.100 (ground water specific provisions), the board issues a Record of Decision approving the transfer, subject to review by the WSDE Director. In making the Record of Decision, the board must consider among other things whether the proposed transfer can be made without detriment or injury to existing water rights, including rights established for instream flow. The board must include any conditions that are deemed necessary for the transfer to qualify for approval under applicable state laws. The board must include the basis for the decision in the Report of Examination. The water conservancy board’s approval must also state that the developer is not permitted to proceed with the proposed transfer until the WSDE Director has approved a final decision on the transfer. If a majority of the water conservancy board determines that the application cannot be approved under state laws, the board must make a Record of Decision denying the application and a Report of Examination documenting the Record of Decision. The board’s Record of Decision is subject to review by the WSDE Director under RCW 90.80.080

19-WA-d.15 – Provide Copy of Decision to Developer, WSDE, and Other Interested parties

The water conservancy board must provide a copy of its Record of Decision to the developer and the WSDE. The Board must also submit its Report of Examination to the WSDE summarizing the factual findings on which the board relied on to reach its Record of Decision and a copy of the files and records upon which the board’s record of decision is based. The Board must also transmit notice by mail to any person who objected to the transfer or who requested notice of the board’s record of decision.

19-WA-d.16 – Post Text of the Record of Decision Transmittal Form on WSDE Website

Upon receipt of the water conservancy board’s Record of Decision, the WSDE must promptly post the text of the Record of Decision Transmittal Form on the WSDE’s website.

19-WA-d.17 – Submit Letter of Concern or Support of WSDE

Any party to a transfer, third party who alleges his or her water right will be impaired by the proposed transfer, or any other person may file a letter of concern or support with the WSDE within 30 days of the WSDE’s receipt of the Record of Decision. The WSDE may consider the concern or support expressed in the letter when making its final determination of the water right transfer application.

19-WA-d.18 to 19-WA-d.20 – Review Record of Decision

The WSDE Director must review the water conservancy board’s Record of Decision and affirm, reverse, or modify the action of the board within 45 days of receipt. The WSDE Director may extend the 45 day time period for an additional 30 days. The time period may also be extended at the request of the developer or the water conservancy board. If the WSDE Director fails to act on the water right transfer application within the time prescribed above, the water conservancy board’s decision becomes the decision of the WSDE and is appealable as provided in RCW 90.80.090. If the WSDE Director acts within the timeframe, the decision becomes appealable under RCW 90.80.090. In addition, if the WSDE Director remands the application to the water conservancy board, the decision is appealable under RCW 90.80.120(2).

Process Flowchart

19-WA-d - Water Conservancy Board Transfer or Change of Water Right.pdf

Enlarge Flowchart
View Flowchart Narrative


Contact Information

| Add a Contact



| Add a Reference

Print PDF

Edit Washington State Department of Ecology
Water Rights and Well Issues Contact
Visit Website

Edit Washington State Department of Ecology
Water Rights and Well Issues Contact #2
Visit Website