Colorado Underground Storage Tank Permit (18-CO-a)
The Colorado Department of Labor and Employment Division of Oil and Public Safety (Division) regulates underground storage tanks pursuant to 7 CCR 1101-14 Underground Storage Tanks and Aboveground Storage Tanks, Colorado – C.R.S. 8-20-102, Oil and Public Safety Rules, and Colorado – C.R.S. 8-20.5-201 et seq., Underground Storage Tanks to reduce damage to the environment and risk to the public caused by leaking petroleum storage tanks and other regulated substances stored in underground tanks. Colorado – C.R.S. 8-20.5-201 et seq., Underground Storage Tanks.
Underground Storage Tank Permit Process
18-CO-a.1 to 18-CO-a.2 — Is the Underground Storage Tank (UST) System Excluded?
7 CCR 1101-14 §2-1-1 excludes the following Underground Storage Tank (UST) systems from regulation:
- Any UST system holding hazardous waste listed or identified under Subtitle C of the Solid Waste Disposal Act, or a mixture of such hazardous waste and other regulated substances;
- Any wastewater treatment tank system that is part of a wastewater treatment facility regulated under Section 402 or 307(b) of the Clean Water Act;
- Equipment or machinery that contains regulated substances for operational purposes such as hydraulic lift tanks and electrical equipment tanks;
- Any UST system whose capacity is 110 gallons or less;
- Any UST system that contains a de minimis concentration of regulated substances; and
- Any emergency spill or overflow containment UST system that is expeditiously emptied after use.
18-CO-a.3 — Underground Storage Tank Permit Application; Site Plan
The developer must submit an Colorado Underground Storage Tank System – Installation or Upgrade Application to the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment Division of Oil and Public Safety (Division) twenty (20) days prior to beginning construction on any new UST system used to store regulated substances or for a UST system that is being upgraded to the standards described in 7 CCR 1101-14 or other applicable statutes. 7 CCR 1101-14 §2-1-1(b).
The application must include a Site Plan and a written application. 7 CCR 1101-14 §3-2-3(a)(2). The Site Plan must include a dimensioned drawing of the facility showing the:
- Name and address of the facility;
- Location of existing tanks and piping that will remain at the facility;
- Location of the new tanks and piping proposed in the application;
- Location of dispensers and buildings at the facility;
- Location of property lines; and
- Location and names of streets adjacent to the facility.
7 CCR 1101-14 §3-2-3(a)(2); Colorado Underground Storage Tank System – Installation or Upgrade Application.
18-CO-a.4 to 18-CO-a.5 — Review Application Materials for Completeness
The Division reviews the UST permit application materials. The Division may deny a UST permit application if the UST installation or operation is not conformance with 7 CCR 1101-14 or is not in conformance with both Code 30 and Code 30-A of the National Fire Protection Association. In addition, the DLE may deny the UST permit application if the application is incomplete or determined to be inaccurate. 7 CCR 1101-14 §2-2-2-1(d).
18-CO-a.6 — Installation Plan
The developer must submit an installation plan to the local Fire Department having jurisdiction prior to the installation of any new or replacement UST system. 7 CCR 1101-14 §2-2-2(b).
18-CO-a.7 — Inspect UST Before Completing Construction
The Director of the Division must inspect the UST system before completion of construction activities to verify that the construction is proceeding according to plan. The developer must provide 72-hour notice prior to the inspection to the Director of the Division. The inspection will be as detailed as practicable, but does not exempt the owner/operator from certifying that the installation was made according to all technical requirements of 7 CCR 1101-14. 7 CCR 1101-14 §2-2-2-3.
18-CO-a.8 — Complete Construction of UST System and Register UST System
After the developer completes construction of the UST system, the developer must register each system with the Director of the Division within 30 days after the system stores a regulated substance. 7 CCR 1101-14 §2-2-3.The developer must register the UST system with a form provided by the Director of the Division. The developer of a new UST system must certify in the registration form, compliance with:
- Installation of tanks and piping under 7 CCR 1101 Section 2-2-8(f);
- Cathodic protection of steel tanks and piper under 7 CCR 1101 Section 2-2-8(a) and (b);
- Financial responsibility under 7 CCR 1101 Article 6; and
- Release detection under 7 CCR 1101 2-4-2 and 2-4-3.
18-CO-a.9 — Annual Registration Notice
If the developer satisfies the registration requirements, the Director of the Division issues an Annual Registration Notice for each registered facility. The developer must post or maintain the Annual Registration onsite and have the certificate readily available for inspection by the Division of Oil and Public Safety inspectors or delivery personnel. 7 CCR 1104-14 § 2-2-3.
Feedback | Add a Contact
Feedback | Add a Reference