From Open Energy Information

< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Vermont

RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Vermont Hydropower Transmission & Interconnection(8-VT)

In Vermont, a hydropower developer may need a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from the Vermont Public Service Board for certain interconnection and transmission projects.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Certificate of Public Good/Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (Certificate): Energy transmission and generation projects in Vermont must go through a site-specific environmental, economic and social impacts review process. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has jurisdiction over most hydroelectric projects, including primary transmission lines required for the project. However, a developer may need to obtain a Certificate of Public Good, from the Vermont Public Service Board for transmission line extension projects, interconnected group net-metered hydroelectric power systems, and project’s that sell retail electricity within Vermont. [1]
"Title 30 Chapter 5 |30 V.S.A. § 248 et seq." cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.
Certificate Regulatory Agency: Vermont Public Service Board
Certificate Threshold: Before construction or operation of tansmission line extension projects, or a group net-metered hydroelectric power system interconnections.

Contact Information

Edit Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Regional Office Hydropower Contacts

Visit Website

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources

  1. 30 V.S.A. § 248 et seq.