< RAPID‎ | Hydropower‎ | Alaska
Jump to: navigation, search


Regulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Alaska Hydropower Transmission & Interconnection(8-AK)

Currently, the RAPID Toolkit does not have state specific content regarding this state’s rules and regulations for hydroelectric power development.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Alaska Federal

Certificate of Public Good/Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (Certificate): The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has jurisdiction over the primary transmission lines for most hydroelectric projects. However, a developer may need to obtain a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from the Regulatory Commission of Alaska for transmission line extension projects located outside of a FERC license boundary.
Certificate Regulatory Agency: Regulatory Commission of Alaska
Certificate Threshold: A public utility or developer before construction or opeation of a transmission line extension project located outside of a FERC license boundary.
Public Utility/Electric Plant Definition: A "public utility" or "utility" includes every corporation whether public, cooperative, or otherwise, company, individual, or association of individuals, their lessees, trustees, or receivers appointed by the court, that owns, operates, manages, or controls any plant, pipeline, or system for furnishing, by generation, transmission, or distribution, electrical service to the public for compensation. [1]

Contact Information

Edit Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Regional Office Hydropower Contacts

Visit Website

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources

  1. AS 42.05.990(6)

Print PDF