RAPID/BulkTransmission/Texas/Land Access

Jump to: navigation, search
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Texas Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-TX)

Developers that require limited access on or across state land for a transmission line will need to obtain an easement or right-of-way lease fromm the GLO. TNRC 51.291(a). The GLO also issues special permits for access through a coastal zone. For access on most public lands, the developer will need to submit an Application for New Rights of Way / Miscellaneous Easements. For access on coastal zones, the developer will need to submit an Application for State Land Use Lease: Commercial/Multi-Family.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) district offices protect the state’s rights of way (ROWs) and facilitate and coordinate the safe and efficient operation of Texas highways. If a project will encroach on existing state ROWs, the district engineers from each district have authority to approve permits for the construction of utility facilities within a state ROW as well as construction, relocation or modification of a driveway facility (access point) on highway ROWs.

In extremely rare circumstances, the TxDOT leases highway assets. The GLO conducts the leasing process, but transmission projects will typically go through the state land leasing process and/or an encroachment permit for utility accommodation on state highway ROWs as opposed to pursuing a highway lease.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Texas Federal

Leasing Agency: Texas General Land Office

Contact Information

No contacts have been added

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources

Print PDF