RAPID/BulkTransmission/Nevada/Land Access

Jump to: navigation, search
RAPIDRegulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Nevada Bulk Transmission Land Access(3-NV)

Utilities Environmental Protection Act (UEPA)Permit

The Nevada Public Utilities Commission (PUCN) has the authority to site most high-voltage transmission lines within the state as authorized through the Utilities Environmental Protection Act (UEPA).[1] Proponents wishing to construct a transmission line within the state of Nevada that are greater than or equal to 200kV, must first obtain a UEPA permit from the PUCN prior to the commencement of construction activities. Permit approval is granted by the Commission, which is comprised of three Commissioners who are each appointed by the Governor to a four-year term. [2]

Exemptions from the UEPA permit requirements include, but are not limited to:[3]

  • Transmission lines with a capacity less than 200kV
  • The replacement of existing utilities
  • Construction of utility facilities under the exclusive jurisdiction of an agency of the federal government
  • Facilities owned by a cooperative or nonprofit corporation/association subject to the provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act.

ROW Across State Lands

The Nevada Division of State Lands (NDSL), State Lands Office, manages lands used by most state agencies, sovereign lands, school trust lands, and sensitive land in the Tahoe Basin. The State Lands Office is responsible for issuing leases, easements and permits on lands held in title by the state. An easement would be required for construction of a transmission line across state lands.

Developers may obtain a right-of-way (ROW) across state land by submitting an Application to Use State Lands, the same form for a lease, to the NDSL. [4] Unlike an application for a lease, an application for a ROW across state lands does not invoke the competitive bidding process. ROW applications do not require approval from either the Nevada State Board of Examiners or Nevada Interim Finance Committee, but the final authorization must be on a form prepared by the Nevada Attorney General. [5]

Encroachment Permit

If the project requires the permanent (for one year or longer) encroachment on any Nevada streets, highways, or other ROWs, the developer will need to submit an Occupancy Permit Application to the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT). [6] Depending on the requested encroachment and duration of any necessary construction, the NDOT may require a traffic control plan, and/or drainage report.

Local Process
Local regulatory authorities include counties and local municipalities within the state of Nevada. In Nevada, the state has permitting jurisdiction over transmission line projects with a capacity of 200kV or more. Local government permitting requirements may also apply. Requirements and permits needed for construction of a transmission line will vary by county and municipality.[7] Some or all of the following elements as they relate to land access, may be required:

  • Special Use permit
  • Conditional Use permit
  • Development Agreement
  • Off-Site Improvement permit
  • Site Improvement permit
  • ROW Encroachment permit/ROW grant
  • Road Improvement Plan Approval
  • Site Development Plan

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Nevada Federal

Leasing Agency: Nevada Division of State Lands

Contact Information

No contacts have been added

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources

  1. N.R.S. 704 (1971). 820 to 900
  2. N.R.S. 703 (2014).
  3. N.R.S. 704 (1971).
  4. NRS 322 - Use of State Lands (2014). 010 to 050
  5. NRS 322 - Use of State Lands (2014). 060(3)
  6. NRS 408.423 - Permit Required to Excavate State Highway (2014). (1)
  7. N.R.S. 278 (2014).

Print PDF