RAPID/BulkTransmission/Land Access/Texas

Jump to: navigation, search


Regulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Bulk Transmission Land Access in Texas

Regulatory Information Overviews

Search for other summaries about Bulk Transmission regulations and permitting.


At a Glance

Jurisdiction: Texas

Leasing Agency: Texas General Land Office

Competitive Land Leasing:

Noncompetitive Land Leasing:

Royalty Rate Competitive Land Lease:

Royalty Rate Nonompetitive Land Lease:

Royalty Rate Calculation Basis:

Royalty Distribution:

Contacts/Agencies: Texas General Land Office, Texas Department of Transportation

State Land Access Process

Developers that require limited access on or across state land for a transmission line will need to obtain an easement or right-of-way lease fromm the GLO. TNRC 51.291(a). The GLO also issues special permits for access through a coastal zone. For access on most public lands, the developer will need to submit an Application for New Rights of Way / Miscellaneous Easements. For access on coastal zones, the developer will need to submit an Application for State Land Use Lease: Commercial/Multi-Family.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) district offices protect the state’s rights of way (ROWs) and facilitate and coordinate the safe and efficient operation of Texas highways. If a project will encroach on existing state ROWs, the district engineers from each district have authority to approve permits for the construction of utility facilities within a state ROW as well as construction, relocation or modification of a driveway facility (access point) on highway ROWs.

In extremely rare circumstances, the TxDOT leases highway assets. The GLO conducts the leasing process, but transmission projects will typically go through the state land leasing process and/or an encroachment permit for utility accommodation on state highway ROWs as opposed to pursuing a highway lease.

Local Land Access Process

not available

Policies & Regulations


Print PDF