RAPID/BulkTransmission/Land Access/California

Jump to: navigation, search


Regulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Bulk Transmission Land Access in California

Regulatory Information Overviews

Search for other summaries about Bulk Transmission regulations and permitting.


At a Glance

Jurisdiction: California

Leasing Agency:

Competitive Land Leasing:

Noncompetitive Land Leasing:

Royalty Rate Competitive Land Lease:

Royalty Rate Nonompetitive Land Lease:

Royalty Rate Calculation Basis:

Royalty Distribution:

Contacts/Agencies: California State Lands Commission, California Department of Transportation

State Land Access Process

The California State Lands Commission has jurisdiction over state sovereign lands (4 million acres of land underlying the state's navigable and tital waterways) and over state school lands (5.5 million acres of land granted to California by Congress in 1853).

State Land Right of Way Lease Agreement

If any portion of the transmission line crosses state lands under the jurisdiction of the California State Lands Commission (CSLC), the developer will need to obtain a Right of Way Lease Agreement by submitting a complete Application Form to the CSLC.[1] The CSLC has jurisdiction and management control over sovereign state land and California school lands (school lands). The Right of Way Lease Agreement for a transmission line project is subject to CEQA review, and it is recommended that most coordination should be done concurrently with the CEQA process to ensure that any CSLC required issues are addressed under CEQA. If another governmental agency has jurisdiction over some part of the project, the CSLC may allow the other agency to act as the lead agency for CEQA.

Encroachment Permit

If components of the project will encroach on existing state highway or other ROWs, the developer must obtain permission from the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) by submitting a complete Application TR-0100. [2] Cities and counties may issue routine State highway encroachment permits on specified state highway facilities located within their boundaries if authorized by Caltrans. [3] Caltrans will approve or deny an encroachment permit within 60 days of receipt. [4]

Local Land Access Process

Local jurisdictions do not have siting authority for transmission facilities.

Policies & Regulations


  1. Cal. Pub. Res. Code § 6224.3 (2013).
  2. Cal. Sts. & High. Code § 670(a) (1935). (2)
  3. Cal. Sts. & High. Code § 676 (1935).
  4. Cal. Sts. & High. Code § 671.5

Print PDF