RAPID/BulkTransmission/Land Access/Arizona

Jump to: navigation, search


Regulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Bulk Transmission Land Access in Arizona

Regulatory Information Overviews

Search for other summaries about Bulk Transmission regulations and permitting.


At a Glance

Jurisdiction: Arizona

Leasing Agency:

Competitive Land Leasing:

Noncompetitive Land Leasing:

Royalty Rate Competitive Land Lease:

Royalty Rate Nonompetitive Land Lease:

Royalty Rate Calculation Basis:

Royalty Distribution:

Contacts/Agencies: Arizona State Land Department, Arizona Department of Transportation

State Land Access Process

Utility Right-of-Way

The Arizona State Land Department (ASLD) manages Arizona State Trust land which accounts for approximately 9.2 million acres in Arizona. Lands are held in trust and are managed for generating revenue for 13 state trust land beneficiaries.

For transmission lines of 69kV or greater, the ASLD requires acquisition of a mid-term (50-year) right-of-way easement. [1] The required form for a utility ROW application (RW-U), can be downloaded at: https://land.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/RW-U.pdf.

Encroachment Permits

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within the state right-of-way and is issued by each of the respective Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) district offices where the encroachment will be located. The Encroachment Permit Applications and Encroachment Application Instructions and other relevant information is included on ADOT’s website.

Local Land Access Process

A CEC granted by the TLSC must be in compliance with all applicable ordinances, master plans and regulations of the state, a county or an incorporated city or town in which a facility will be located.[2] Counties and municipalities have the authority to adopt their own zoning ordinances and comprehensive plans.[3][4][5][6] Construction of a transmission line and associated facilities (i.e. substations) may be subject to land use permitting or requirements including but not limited to:

  • Conditional Use Permit
  • Special Use Permit
  • Zoning Use Permit
  • ROW Permit
  • Road Crossing Permit

These permits would be submitted to individual counties or municipalities for their approvals upon determination of final transmission line routes. Counties and municipalities are required to cooperate with a utility if the utility engages in advance planning with the local governments.[7]

Policies & Regulations


  1. A.R.S. § 37-461
  2. A.R.S. § 40-360.06 (2014). Section (D)
  3. A.R.S. § 9-461.01 (2014).
  4. A.R.S. § 9-462.01 (2014).
  5. A.R.S. § 11-804 (2014).
  6. A.R.S. § 11-811 (2014).
  7. A.R.S. § 40-360.52 (2014).

Print PDF