Jump to: navigation, search


Regulatory and Permitting Information Desktop Toolkit

Alaska Bulk Transmission Transmission & Interconnection(8-AK)

Developers of transmission lines and facilities are included under the regulation of public utilities in Alaska, and as such must obtain a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from the Regulatory Commission of Alaska (RCA) if they qualify as a “public utility” and are seeking to sell excess capacity to the electrical grid. A “public utility” or “utility” includes every corporation whether public, cooperative, or otherwise, company, individual, or association of individuals, their lessees, trustees, or receivers appointed by a court, that owns, operates, manages, or controls any plant, pipeline, or system for furnishing, by generation, transmission, or distribution, electrical service to the public for compensation. If a CPCN is required, then developers must submit a completed application with RCA along with any required information. RCA will provide public notice of the application, and allow the public to comment. 3 AAC 48.645(a). RCA may approve or deny a CPCN request, and will outline reasons for any denial.

More Information

Determine Which State and Federal Permits Apply

Use this overview flowchart and following steps to learn which federal and state permits apply to your projects.

Permitting at a Glance

Alaska Federal

Transmission Siting Agency: Regulatory Commission of Alaska
Permit Authorization: Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity

Contact Information

No contacts have been added

| Add a Contact

List of Reference Sources

Print PDF