Pretreatment Rules (Ohio)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
|Applies to States or Provinces||Ohio|
|Name||Pretreatment Rules (Ohio)|
|Policy Category||Other Policy|
|Policy Type||Environmental Regulations|
|Affected Technologies||Biomass/Biogas, Coal with CCS, Natural Gas, Nuclear|
|Program Administrator||Ohio Environmental Protection Agency|
This law lists state requirements and standards regulating the introduction of pollutants into Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTWs) by industrial users. The following substances shall not be introduced into a POTW:
(1) Pollutants that create a fire or explosion hazard in the POTW including, but not limited to, wastestreams with a closed cup flashpoint of less than 140 degrees Fahrenheit or 60 degrees;
(2) Pollutants that will cause corrosive structural damage to the POTW, but in no case discharges with pH lower than 5.0, unless the POTW is specifically designed to accommodate such discharges;
(3) Solid or viscous pollutants in amounts that will cause obstruction to the flow in sewers, or other interference with the operation of the POTW;
(4) Any pollutant, including oxygen demanding pollutants, released in a discharge at a flow rate or pollutant concentration as to cause interference with the POTW;
(5) Heat in amounts that will inhibit biological activity in the POTW treatment plant resulting in interference or causing damage, but in no case heat in such quantities that the temperature exceeds 104 degrees Fahrenheit at the POTW treatment plant;
(6) Petroleum oil, nonbiodegradable cutting oil, or products of mineral oil origin in amounts that will cause interference or pass through;
(7) Pollutants that result in the presence of toxic gases, vapors, or fumes within the POTW in a quantity that may cause acute worker health and safety problems; or
(8) Any trucked or hauled pollutants, except at discharge points designated by the POTW.
All industrial users shall notify the POTW immediately of all discharges that could cause problems to the POTW, including any slug loading.
|Contact Name||Holly Kaloz|
|Department||Ohio Environmental Protection Agency|
|Division||Division of Drinking and Ground Waters|
|Address||P.O. Box 1049|
Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)
|Authority 1:||Chapter 3745-3|