Exploration Technique: Numerical Modeling
|Exploration Technique Information|
|Exploration Group:||Data and Modeling Techniques|
|Exploration Sub Group:||Modeling Techniques|
|Parent Exploration Technique:||Modeling Techniques|
|Information Provided by Technique|
|Stratigraphic/Structural:||Stress fields and magnitudes|
|Hydrological:||Visualization and prediction of the flow patterns and characteristics of geothermal fluids|
|Thermal:||Thermal conduction and convection patterns in the subsurface|
The purpose of a numerical model is to reproduce the behavior of a complex system in order to learn how each mechanism affects the others and essentially make predictions about how the system will react to different variables. Numerical models have become a useful tool for modeling many natural systems that are too complex for analytical modeling methods to be used.
- Karsten Pruess. 1990. Modeling of Geothermal Reservoirs: Fundamental Processes, Computer Simulation and Field Applications. Geothermics. 19(1):3-15.
- Mauro Cacace,Björn Onno Kaiser,Yvonne Cherubini. N/A. Numerical Modelling of Geothermal Systems a Short Introduction. N/A. Helmholtz Association. N/Ap.
- Thomas J. Santner,Brian J. Williams,William I. Notz. 2003. The Design and Analysis of Computer Experiments. New York: Springer-Verlag. N/Ap.
- Jerome Sacks,William Welch,Toby Mitchell,Henry Wynn. 1989. Design and Analysis of Computer Experiments. Statistical Science. .
- Coso Geothermal Area
- Dixie Valley Geothermal Area
- Lightning Dock Geothermal Area
- Neal Hot Springs Geothermal Area
- Raft River Geothermal Area