National System Templates: Building Sustainable National Inventory Management Systems
"U.S. EPA's approach builds a national inventory management system from a set of building blocks, which developing countries can construct using pre-defined "templates." The advantages of the templates are that they:
- Focus on documenting essential information in a concise format and avoid unnecessarily long written reports;
- Standardize tasks, allowing countries within regions to compare and contrast results;
- Accommodate varying levels of national capacity;
- Provide an objective and efficient system for identifying priorities for future improvements;
- Serve as instruction manuals for future inventory teams; and
- Create transparency in a country's national system.
The six National System Templates can be compiled into a single National Inventory System Report of typically less than fifty pages, which provides comprehensive documentation of each of the critical national system building blocks."