Low Carbon Society Scenarios Towards 2050
"The primary objective of the “Research project to Establish a Methodology to Evaluate Mid to Long Term Environmental Policy Options toward Asian Low-Carbon Societies?E(S-6 research project), is to develop comprehensive methodologies to design, calculate and evaluate the mid to long term policy options towards Low-Carbon Societies (LCSs) in Asia, which integrate robust scientific knowledge, and are sensitive to the multi-faced needs and values of each Asian country. The project also aims to formulate policy roadmaps and disseminate these for implementation.
The S-6 Research Project aims to identify feasible and robust development pathways over the medium to long-term for the realization of a low-carbon society in Asian countries, at both the national and sub-national levels. It examines these pathways from five perspectives:
- Integrated research on scenario development towards the realization of LCSs in Asia
- Fundamental analytical research exploring the possibility of developing LCSs in Asia and how to evaluate progress
- Research into the medium to long-term international and domestic institutional design options and their formative processes
- Research to limit GHG emissions from the resource consumption associated with economic growth; and
- Research into concrete measures to establish a low-carbon transport system in Asia"
The reports section of the project contains a number of case studies for low-carbon development plans in developing and developed nations, results of different workshops undertaken by the National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES) and other partners, and other research materials.