Hydro-Quebec Sustainable Development Action Plan 2013-2016 (Quebec, Canada)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
|Applies to Utility||Hydro-Quebec|
|Name||Hydro-Quebec Sustainable Development Action Plan 2009-2013 (Quebec, Canada)|
|Policy Category||Other Policy|
|Policy Type||Renewables Portfolio Standards and Goals|
|Affected Technologies||Geothermal Electric, Hydroelectric, Solar Photovoltaics, Tidal Energy, Wave Energy|
| Last Substantive Modification
To meet the requirements set out in the Québec government’s Sustainable Development Strategy and strategy to ensure the occupancy and vitality of territories, Hydro-Québec has established a Sustainable Development Action Plan for the 2013–2016 period. Published in March 2013, this second action plan ensures the continuation of the efforts initiated by the first plan, which covered the 2009–2013 period. The plan outlines 10 major actions related to renewable energies, energy efficiency or technological innovation.
10 Major Actions:
1. Build Hydropower Projects: This action, first initiated in the previous Action Plan, consists in continuing work on the Romaine hydropower complex. This $6.5-billion project involves building four generating stations with a total installed capacity of 1,550 MW and annual output of 8 TWh. The first generating station, Romaine-2 (640 MW, 3.3 TWh), is slated for commissioning in 2014. A second facility, Romaine-1 (270 MW, 1.4 TWh), will go into service in 2016. The Romaine project will generate substantial economic spinoffs: about $3.5 billion for all of Québec, and $1.3 billion just for the Côte-Nord region.
2. Increase output and capacity gains at existing hydroelectric generating stations
3. Continue energy efficiency initiatives
4. Continue to help low-income customers
5. Contribute to the reduction of transportrelated GHG emissions and collaborate in the electrification of transportation in Québec
6. Contribute to the implementation of Québec’s policy for ecoresponsible government
7. Inform and educate employees about sustainability and the company’s approach
8. Preserve and enhance biodiversity in transmission and distribution line rights-of-way
9. Publicize the knowledge acquired through Hydro-Québec environmental studies
10. Continue to protect and enhance the company’s built and technological heritage