Green Power Purchasing (Maine)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
Rules Regulations Policies Program
|Name||Green Power Purchasing|
|Incentive Type||Green Power Purchasing|
|Applicable Sector||State Government|
|Eligible Technologies||Biomass, Fuel Cells, Fuel Cells using Renewable Fuels, Hydroelectric, Landfill Gas, Municipal Solid Waste, Photovoltaics, Solar Thermal Electric, Tidal Energy, Wave Energy, Wind|
|Energy Category||Renewable Energy Incentive Programs|
|Date added to DSIRE||2003-03-25|
|Last DSIRE Review||2013-02-19|
In 2003, Maine's governor established a goal for the state government to buy at least 50% of its electricity from "reasonably priced" renewable-power sources, paid for by energy conservation improvements in all state buildings. The goal was contained in the governor's "Vision" for meeting Maine's environmental needs. As of March 2007, Maine's state government was purchasing 100% of its power from renewable energy resources. The state's existing renewable energy portfolio standard accounts for 30% of this total. For the remaining 70%, the state is purchasing renewable-energy credits (RECs) from the Rumford Falls hydropower project in Rumford, Maine.
Furthermore, legislation passed in 2009 (LD 1075) requires that all electricity used in state-owned buildings must come from renewable energy and that state agencies may give preference to community-based generated renewable energy.
Authorities (Please contact the if there are any file problems.)
|Authority 1:||5 M.R.S. §1766-A|
|Date Enacted||2007 (subsequently amended)|
- Incentive and policy data are reviewed and approved by the N.C. Solar Center's DSIRE project staff.