Policy and Program Design Toolkit
- 2.1. Assess current country plans, policies, practices, and capacities
- 2.2. Compile lessons learned and good practices from ongoing and previous sustainable development efforts in the country
- 2.3. Assess public and private sector capacity to support initiatives
- 2.4. Assess and improve the national GHG inventory and other economic and resource data as needed for LEDS development
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory Development Toolkit
- 3a. Analytical Decision Making - Developing BAU Scenario
- 3b. Analytical Decision Making - Assessing Opportunities
- 3b.1. Assess technical potential for sector technologies
- Renewable Energy Technical Potential Toolkit
- Building Energy Assessment Toolkit
- Power System Screening and Design Toolkit
- Land Use Assessment Toolkit
- Bioenergy Assessment Toolkit
- Transportation Assessment Toolkit
- 3b.2. Assess economic and market potential of technologies and initiatives
- Clean Energy Market Analysis Toolkit
- 3b.3. Prioritize development options
- 3c. Analytical Decision Making - Developing and Assessing Low Emissions Development Scenarios
- 3c.1. Develop low emissions growth scenarios
- 3c.2. Assess institutional framework for LEDS
- Financing Initiatives Toolkit
- Policy and Program Design Toolkit
- 3c.3. Assess in-depth contributions of selected scenarios to goals across sectors
- Land-use Scenario Analysis Toolkit
- Energy System and Scenario Analysis Toolkit
- 3c.4. Perform multi-criteria impact analysis and assess stakeholder responses
- Clean Energy Impact Assessment Tool
- Sustainable Land-use Impact Assessment Toolkit
- Background →
- Design →
- Implementation →
- Support →
- Clean Energy Resources
- Land Use→
- Land Use Resources
- IEA Policies and Measures Database
- These databases provide information on renewable energy, energy efficiency, and climate change policies searchable by country, policy type and policy target and targeted sector.
- REN21 Renewables Interactive Map
- The Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century Renewables Interactive Map is a web-based map of the world that displays information about renewable energy policies, programs, installed capacity and other related data.
- REEEP SERN Policy and Regulation Database
- The REEEP SERN Policy and Regulation Database provides information on policies and regulations related to clean energy for individual countries internationally.
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE)
- This U.S. Dept. of Energy database is a source of information on US state, local, utility, and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Search All Policy Databases
- REEEP/UNIDO Sustainable Energy Regulation and Policymaking for Africa Toolkit
- The Sustainable Energy Regulation and Policymaking for Africa training package is a set of training modules developed by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and co-funded by the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP). The modular package is designed for use in training programs to build the capacity of African policymakers and regulators in the areas of energy regulation and power sector reform, increasing renewable energy technology penetration for rural electrification, and energy efficiency in the industrial, commercial, and domestic sectors.
- ICLEI and REN21 Local Renewables Web Portal
- This web portal provides guidance on the application of renewables in local settings with information on policy, practice and technologies.
- ICLEI Sustainable Urban Energy Planning
- The ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability is a group of over 1100 cities, towns, and counties from 67 countries that provides capacity building services to assist local governments in meeting sustainable development goals. ICLEI's services include training, conference organizing, network facilitation, research and pilot projects, and technical assistance, including providing software and tools for local governments. The website describes the organizations services and provides contact information.
- Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP)Toolkits and Digital Library
- The REEEP Toolkits and Digital Library, updated regularly, provides renewable energy and energy efficiency information ranging from policy papers and case studies to presentations for REEEP funded projects internationally.
- NREL State Clean Energy Policies Analysis Project (SCEPA)
- The U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory's (NREL) Best Practices: State Clean Energy Policies Analysis (SCEPA) project is a collaborative effort to better understand the environmental, economic, and energy security impacts of state policies using a uniform methodology
- UNDP Handbook for Conducting Technology Needs Assessment for Climate Change
- The UNDP Handbook for Conducting Technology Needs Assessment for Climate Change presents a technology prioritization process and a method to assist stakeholders in exploring activities for successful implementation of technologies within a country’s market system.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency State and Local Climate and Energy Program
- This site provides information and resources to identify and evaluate climate and energy policy and program options and impacts at the state and local level.
Search All Guides
Search All Training Materials
What software tools are available to support clean energy policy design?
- LBNL Policy Analysis Modeling System (PAMS)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Policy Analysis Modeling System is a free Microsoft Excel-based computer model designed to help local policymakers assess the benefits of appliance standards and labeling. The website provides access to a downloadable version of the model and to user documentation.
Search All Policy Software Tools
Where can I find best practices and lessons learned for implementing new policies in my country?
- Building Energy Codes-Best Practices Report for APEC Economies
- This document prepared by the Building Codes Assistance Project (BCAP) provides information on code status in APEC economies as well as best practices for adoption of energy codes, implementation and advancement in this region.
- Design Options for Feed-in Tariffs
- This document prepared by the International Feed-In Cooperation covers best practices and design options for feed-in tariffs from an international perspective.
- Feed-in Tariff International News Group
- This news group provides a forum for learning about current events related to feed-in-tariffs as well as user exchange of ideas on application of this policy in particular country contexts and best practices.
- Global Energy Transfer - Feed-in Tariffs for Developing Countries
- This report provides information on best practices for adapting the design of feed-in tariffs in developing countries.
- Global Feed-in Tariffs Project
- The World Future Council's Global Feed-in Tariffs Project website includes links to publications, a guide for policy makers, a FIT design website and upcoming workshops and events.
- Renewable Energy Feed-in Tariffs: Overview and Lessons Learned from the U.S. and Abroad Presentation
- This presentation prepared by NREL provides an overview of feed-in tariffs, comparison of international applications and lessons learned.
Search All Policy Best Practices and Lessons Learned
- Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)
- The U.S. Department of Energy's Federal Energy Management Program seeks to facilitate the implementation of sound, cost-effective energy management and investment practices to promote energy security and environmental stewardship.
- Save Energy Now
- The U.S. Department of Energy's Save Energy Now program partners with U.S. national laboratories to reduce industrial energy intensity by at least 25% over a period of 10 years. Many of the program's best practice resources, software and interactive tools could be useful for developing and implementing similar programs internationally.
- Solar America Cities
- The U.S. Department of Energy's Solar America Cities program is a partnership with 25 major U.S. cities with the goal of accelerating the adoption of solar energy technologies.
- NREL Technical Assistance Project (TAP)
- The U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory's Technical Assistance Project (TAP) provides state and local officials with short-term access to experts from U.S. national laboratories for assistance with EERE policies and programs.
- ORNL Weatherization Program Evaluation
- The U.S. Oak Ridge National Laboratory's Weatherization Program provides evaluations of weatherization programs domestically and internationally as part of the U.S. Department of Energy's Weatherization Assistance Program.
- Wind Powering America
- The U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory's Wind Powering America is a program committed to dramatically increasing the use of wind energy in the United States.
Search All Programs
- Energy, Environment and Development Network for Africa (AFREPREN)
- The Energy, Environment and Development Network for Africa (AFREPREN) is a non-governmental organization that brings together over 300 African energy researchers and policy makers. The AFREPREN website includes downloadable project briefs, publications, energy-related news articles, and other information with a focus on establishing a link between energy research and energy policy work in Africa.
- Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN)
- The Energy Research Center of the Netherlands (ECN) does technology research and development work on technologies for sustainable energy, energy conservation, and clean use of fossil fuels. The center's Policy Studies uses several computer models for studies of energy policy issues.
- IEA Renewable Energy Technology Deployment
- The International Energy Agency's Renewable Energy Technology Deployment (RETD) is an implementing agreement between member countries who have agreed to support development of renewable energy-friendly policies around the world. The website includes descriptions of ongoing projects, links to reports of completed projects, and information about participating in RETD projects.
- LBNL Renewable Energy Market and Policy Analysis
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Electricity Markets and Policy team conducts research on renewable energy policy, markets, costs, benefits, and performance. The website includes a list of downloadable publications and presentation slides.
- Netherlands Climate Assistance Program (NCAP)
- The Netherlands Climate Assistance Program (NCAP) provides technical and financial assistance to developing countries in their national climate policy efforts. The NCAP website describes the program and provides links to country information and project reports for the countries involved in the program.
- Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (REN21)
- REN21 convenes international multistakeholder leaders with the aim of enabling a rapid global transition to renewable energy. REN21 promotes renewable energy to meet the needs of both industrialized and developing countries that are driven by climate change, energy security, development and poverty alleviation.
- UNDP Sustainable Energy
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Sustainable Energy initiative works to help create enabling policy frameworks, develop local capacity and provide knowledge-based advisory services for expanding access to energy services for the poor through an integrated development approach.
Policy Resources by Sector
Country-Specific Policy Resources
Failed to load RSS feed from http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=52cad15c83b55b247244eb10a7121f55&_render=rss&max=10: Error fetching URL: Couldn't resolve host 'pipes.yahoo.com'