Business Incentive Program
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
Financial Incentive Program
Focus on Energy offers financial incentives to eligible business customers who install many types of qualifying energy efficient equipment in existing buildings. The program offers both prescriptive incentives for a variety of specific improvements and custom incentives for improvements that do not fall under any of the prescriptive listings. In order to receive awards participants must be a customer of a participating electric or gas utility (i.e., participating gas utility for gas incentives and participating electric utility for electricity incentives). In addition, this program is applicable only to businesses that use between 100 kW and 1,000 kW of demand in any given month of the previous year. Businesses that do not fit this description may be eligible for the Small Business Program the Large Energy Users Program or the Chain Stores and Franchises Program. Below is a list of equipment categories for which incentives are available, with short descriptions of some eligible technologies. Interested parties should see the program web site for incentive amounts and more detailed qualifying criteria. Application periods run from April 1-March 31 of each year.
- Agricultural: Lighting; Irrigation Pump Horsepower Reduction; Dairy and Livestock Efficient Technologies; Dairy Refrigeration; Greenhouse Technologies
- Compressed Air: Compressed Air System Survey and Report; Variable Speed Air Compressor; Other Compressed Air Technologies
- Food Service: Ice Machines; Dishwasher, Commercial Fryers; Refrigerators and Freezers; Steam Cookers; Convection Ovens; Griddles; Hot Food Holding Cabinets; Hood Ventilation Controls; Rack Ovens
- HVAC: Heating, Ventilation and Cooling Systems; HVAC Tune-Up; Rooftop Unit Optimization; Steam Trap Maintenance and Replacement
- Information Systems: Air Conditioning Equipment; Drycoolers, PC Network Energy Management
- Refrigeration System: Refrigeration Tune-Up; Anti-Sweat Heater Controls; Efficient Reach-In Case Door, LED Reach-In Case Lighting and Occupancy Sensors; Evaporator and/or Condenser Fan ECM Motors; Night Curtains; Beverage Cooler Controls
- Variable Frequency Drives
Other: Guestroom Energy Management Controls; Loading Dock Seals and LED Light Fixtures; High Efficiency Vending Machines and Vending Machine Controls; Water Heaters; Water Heater Fuel Conversion; Radiant Heater Bands for Plastics; Radiant Tube Inserts for Heat Treating; Repulper Rotor and Pressure Screen Rotor for Pulp and Paper
To obtain custom incentives, interested applicants must work with a Focus on Energy adviser to obtain pre-approval for projects prior to purchasing and installing the equipment. All equipment must be new, and existing equipment must be removed (and preferably recycled). Projects with less than a 1.5 year payback are not eligible, and projects with payback of 10 years or longer may be subject to case-by-case eligibility determinations. Custom incentives must be between 10% and 30% of project costs, and are limited to $200,000 per project. An individual customer may receive up to $400,000 for prescriptive and custom projects combined per calendar year.
|Contact Name||Focus on Energy|
|Department||Focus on Energy|
|Address||1 S Pinckney St., Suite 340|
- Incentive and policy data are reviewed and approved by the N.C. Solar Center's DSIRE project staff.