Renewable Energy News Today-West Africa Renewable Energy News
Failed to load RSS feed from http://renewableenergy.einnews.com/xml/west-africa/: There was a problem during the HTTP request: 404 Not Found
IISD-Africa Regional Sustainable Development
- Event: African Soil Seminar
- This seminar will focus on the theme 'Soil Restoration for Achieving the 2063 and 2030 Agendas in Africa: Linking Global Ambitions to Local Needs'. The seminar was organized following a call by African stakeholders attending the 2015 Global Soil Week to create a regional African platform for sustainable soil and land management. The seminar is organized under the auspices of the 'ONE World – No Hunger' Special Initiative supported by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the research project on ‘Soil Protection and Rehabilitation for Food Security' co-implemented by the Global Soil Forum and the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ) in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia and Kenya. Through the participation of a broad range of stakeholders, the seminar aims to explore potential linkages and synergies among different agendas on development cooperation and natural resource management, including the African Union's 2063 Agenda, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement on climate change. The discussions will be organized around six thematic threads: soil carbon and climate change; food security and nutrition; land governance; financing soil restoration; water management; and urban-rural continuities.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:29:15 +0000
- Event: UNGA Second Committee Dialogue with the Executive Secretaries of the Regional Commissions
- The annual dialogue will take place in the morning of 28 October.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:14:14 +0000
- UN Launches SDGs Financing Platform
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced the launch of a new platform for scaling up innovative finance solutions to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Financial Innovation Platform aims to identify and pilot innovative finance instruments that can drive investment and support SDG interventions. Meanwhile, the World Bank Group released a 2030 vision document, identifying steps for the Bank to support the SDGs, including through open trade promotion, sustainable concessional financing, and helping to bridge the infrastructure gap.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:13:48 +0000
- UNDP, World Bank Support Small States to Achieve SDGs
- Addressing the Small States Forum (SSF) during the World Bank Group-International Monetary Fund (IMF) Annual Meetings, UN Development Programme (UNDP) Administrator Helen Clark said that during the current volatile and unpredictable times, Small States will continue to be affected by forces beyond their control, in particular climate change and disasters, and she outlined how UNDP plans to support them. Also during the Forum, the World Bank Group launched a report that takes stock of its engagement with Small States.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:12:22 +0000
- Second Committee Considers Sustainable Development Approach in UNGA 71
- During the UN General Assembly's Second Committee annual debate on sustainable development, governments stressed the need for: aligning the Committee's agenda with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; addressing climate change, the El Niño phenomenon, desertification, land degradation and loss of biodiversity; strengthening partnerships; ensuring commensurate means of implementation with the ambition of the international agreements signed in 2015; and ensuring national ownership of development plans and strategies.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Wed, 12 Oct 2016 17:01:39 +0000
- Governments Highlight Rule of Law, Disarmament-Development Links
- The UN General Assembly's (UNGA) First Committee (Disarmament and International Security) discussed the relationship between disarmament and development, as part of its general debate for the 71st session. Speakers called for redirecting money spent on militaries and weapons to fighting poverty, tackling climate change and addressing sustainable development and the refugee crisis. In the Assembly's Sixth Committee (Legal), governments discussed the rule of law as an enabler of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and as a goal in and of itself, during a debate on 'Rule of law at the national and international levels.'
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:45:30 +0000
- Poland and Rwanda Ratify Paris Agreement
- Poland and Rwanda became the latest countries to ratify the Paris Agreement on climate change, bringing the total number of ratifications to 76. Rwanda ratified on 6 October 2016 and Poland ratified on 7 October.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:45:27 +0000
- Climate Vulnerable Forum Calls for Climate Finance Roadmap
- The third Ministerial Dialogue of the Vulnerable Twenty (V20) Group called for a clear roadmap for raising US$100 billion in additional financing to build resilience to climate impacts in countries most vulnerable to climate change.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:43:45 +0000
- UNECA LPI Pilot Projects to Mainstream Land Governance in Agricultural Strategies
- The UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) Land Policy Initiative (LPI) held an inception workshop to launch a series of pilot projects meant to improve collaboration between African ministries of agriculture and of land by mainstreaming land governance into agricultural development strategies and plans. Participating ministers committed to ensuring that land reforms secure land rights, provide equal access to land and promote responsible agricultural investments.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:41:15 +0000
- Event: Informal Meeting of UNGA Plenary with Secretary-General-designate
- UN General Assembly (UNGA) President Peter Thomson will convene an informal meeting of the plenary with the Secretary-General-designate, where all Member States and groups will be welcome to speak.
- African Regional Coverage - IISD Reporting Services Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:44:44 +0000