Core Holes At Valles Caldera - Redondo Geothermal Area (Goff, Et Al., 1986)
Exploration Activity: Core Holes At Valles Caldera - Redondo Geothermal Area (Goff, Et Al., 1986)
|Exploration Activity Details|
|Location||Valles Caldera - Redondo Geothermal Area|
|Exploration Technique||Core Holes|
|Activity Date||1984 - 1984|
A series of core holes were drilled from 1984 to 1988 as a part of the Continental Scientific Drilling Program (CSDP) to better understand the stratigraphy, structure, hydrothermal alteration, and subsurface architecture of the Valles caldera. Several authors have reported results from these core holes, including Goff et al. (1986, 1987), Gardner et al. (1987, 1989), Hulen & Nielson (1985), Hulen et al. (1988, 1989), Musgrave et al. (1989), Rowley et al. (1987), Shevenell et al. (1988), and Starquist (1988).
CSDP core hole VC-1 was completed in 1984. The objectives of VC-1 were to intersect the hydrothermal outflow plume near its source at the western margin of the caldera, to obtain stratigraphic and structural information at the intersection of the ring fracture zone and Jemez fault zone, and to core the youngest intracaldera rhyolite sequence. The well was drilled to a depth of 856 m with >95% core recovery, and penetrated thermal aquifers at the 480 m, 540 m, and 845 m intervals.
- Fraser E. Goff, John Rowley, Jamie N. Gardner, Ward Hawkins, Sue Goff, Robert Charles, Daniel Wachs, Larry Maassen, Grant Heiken (1986) Initial results from VC-1, First Continental Scientific Drilling Program Core Hole in Valles Caldera, New Mexico
- Jamie N. Gardner, Fraser E. Goff, Sue Goff, Larry Maassen, K. Mathews, Daniel Wachs, D. Wilson (1987) Core Lithology, Valles Caldera No. 1, New Mexico
- John A. Musgrave, Fraser E. Goff, Lisa Shevenell, Patricio E. Trujillo Jr, Dale Counce, Gary Luedemann, Sammy Garcia, Bert Dennis, Jeffrey B. Hulen, Cathy Janik, Francisco A. Tomei (1989) Selected Data from Continental Scientific Drilling Core Holes VC-1 and VC-2A, Valles Caldera, New Mexico
- Jeffrey B. Hulen, Dennis L. Nielson (1985) Altered Tectonic and Hydrothermal Breccias in Corehole VC-1, Valles Caldera, New Mexico
- Lisa Shevenell, Fraser E. Goff, Dan Miles, Al Waibel, Chandler Swanberg (1988) Lithologic Descriptions and Temperature Profiles of Five Wells in the Southwestern Valles Caldera Region, New Mexico
- John C. Rowley, Ward Hawkins, Jamie N. Gardner (1987) Drilling Report- First CSDP (Continental Scientific Drilling Program) Thermal Regimes Core Hole Project at Valles Caldera, New Mexico (VC-1)