Climate Action Plan (New Orleans)
Last modified on February 12, 2015.
|Applies to Municipality||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Name||Climate Action Plan (New Orleans)|
|Policy Category||Other Policy|
|Policy Type||Climate Policies|
|Affected Technologies||Biomass/Biogas, Coal with CCS, Concentrating Solar Power, Energy Storage, Fuel Cells, Geothermal Electric, Hydroelectric, Hydroelectric (Small), Natural Gas, Nuclear, Solar Photovoltaics, Tidal Energy, Wave Energy, Wind energy|
|Program Administrator||New Orleans Environmental Affairs|
|Information Source||City of New Orleans Office of Environmental Affairs: http://www.nola.gov/RESIDENTS/Environmental-Affairs/,|
New Orleans' Climate Action Plan will provide a road map to reach the City's greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction goal by 2030 while orchestrating its adaptation to climate change. The CAP will outline how the region will mitigate the effects of sea level rise and global warming through a variety of complementary structural and non-structural measures. The Energy Department is collaborating with local non-profits to secure funding for this effort.
Citywide Programs: - Retrofitting of 200 City Buildings - will increase energy efficiency by 20% and save $1.8 million/year.
- Conversion of street lights to high-pressure sodium (amber) and metal halide (white). Plan to experiment with super fluorescents (white and more energy efficient).
- Evaluating light emitting diodes (LEDs) for traffic signals. Note: LED's and higher efficiency streetlights save both energy and maintenance costs.
- Computerization of lights on playgrounds to save energy use when playgrounds not in use. Emissions inventory and analysis being conducted by OEA.
- Development of volunteer speakers' bureau to increase curbside recycling participation.
- Canal Streetcar Project underway; Desire Streetcar Project being studied
|Contact Name||Wynecta Fisher|
|Department||New Orleans Environmental Affairs|
|Address||1340 Poydras Street 10th Floor|
|Place||New Orleans, Louisiana|