Capacity Building on Sustainable Urban Transport (CAPSUT)
When to Use This Tool
While building a low emission strategy for your country's transportation system, this tool is most useful during these key phases of the process:
- Evaluate System - Assessing the current transportation situation
- Create Baseline - Developing a business-as-usual scenario
- Assess Opportunities - Identifying opportunities for low-carbon transport
- Develop Alternatives - Building and assessing alternative scenarios
- Prioritize & Plan - Evaluating proposed transport scenarios and choosing next steps
- Implement & Monitor - Launching low-carbon transport systems and measuring their impact
Learn more about the key actions you need to take to build a successful LEDS.
How to Use This Tool
This tool is most helpful when using these strategies:
- Avoid - Cut the need for travel
- Shift - Change to low-carbon modes
- Improve - Enhance infrastructure & policies
Learn more about the avoid, shift, improve framework for limiting air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions.
CAPSUT (Capacity Building for Sustainable Urban Transport) is an international platform, dedicated to capacity building in sustainable urban transport. On behalf of German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), it has been created and is maintained by GIZ-SUTP (Sustainable Urban Transport Project) and has contributions from various partners worldwide that range from bilateral and multilateral organizations to academia, NGOs and other relevant stakeholders. It is meant to be an open platform, open to any organization to announce its non–commercial trainings and training related documents in the area of sustainable urban transport. The target groups of capacity building in CAPSUT are mainly:
- Policy Makers at Municipal, Regional and Central Governmental Level
- Transport Officials at Municipal, Regional and Government Level
- Transportation and Urban Planning Professionals
“Capacity building” means providing training, information, and support so that people can translate good intentions into policies according to established best practices.
The CAPSUT site provides services related to the development and promotion of capacity building in sustainable transport. Two of its basic sections are:
- The Training and E-learning section lists information about current and future training activities provided both on-site at many locations across the globe and with various partner organization. There are also online and e-learning courses that are currently being held and others under development. One of the key activities is the design, development, and delivery of training courses. For instance, as of December 2013 GIZ-SUTP has conducted 125 courses that included over 4,500 participants.
- The Resources section hosts a wealth of information available for download on various topics related to sustainable urban transport as developed by GIZ SUTP since 2003, and material from other institutions is being uploaded. These documents have been written by experts in their respective fields and range from introductory level materials to detailed technical information.