CRiSTAL Forests helps users to:
- understand the livelihoods, ecosystems and climate context of a community or area of interest;
- screen existing project activities to assess their impacts on the ecosystem services that are important to climate adaptation, and revise these activities accordingly; and
- plan new project activities that support climate adaptation. The list of revised or new project activities contributes directly in both the adaptation planning process and the project cycle. However, information gathered to establish the livelihoods, ecosystems and climate context in CRiSTAL Forests can also contribute to a risk assessment.
When to Use This Tool
This tool is most useful for development impacts assessments focused on:
Learn more about the topics for assessing the impacts of low-emission development strategies (LEDS).
Applying CRiSTAL Forests leads to two main outputs:
- Summary analysis of climate risks to ecosystems and livelihoods, including a list of ecosystem services that are most affected by climate hazards or important for responding to climate impacts,
- Proposed adjustments to existing projects and new activities to support climate adaptation.
How to Use This Tool
No training required, introduction to tool included in graphical user interface.
Level of Expertise
Forest characteristics, Ecosystem types, Climate change observations, Climate hazards
Examples of how CRiSTAL Forests has helped people assessing the impacts of low-emission development strategies in countries and regions:
A list of case studies featured here: http://www.iisd.org/cristaltool/experiences.aspx