Initial Takeaways from the PM Workshop
Thanks again to everyone who participated in the PM Workshop. Here are the top ideas, action items and datasets that we all collectively determined to be most important:
Top "Big Ideas"
A. Create, implement and then develop skills / tools to execute Programs with more of a "Customer Centric" approach to Data.
B. Utilize a "reverse auction" approach in order to drive down costs for early-stage company adoption.
C. Integrate potential of Data into R&D planning process.
D. Improve integration of electric and gas generation assets during the (oftentimes long) comissioning periods.
Top Action Items
1. Every Program to Release 2 New Data Sets within 90 days.
2. Every Program to commit one person as primary POC for the Energy Data Initiative
3. Create "Trigger System" to notify Data Owners when data products are no longer protected by network of confidentiality controls (the standard 5-year-default-to-public clauses in all standard Terms and Conditions).
4. FEMP to connect with CEQ regarding the release of federal building data.
5. Implement "Black Box" anonymizing tool to protect Contractor's sensitive information, while still sharing valuable data.
6. Engage labs in order to highlight and release "Legacy Data"
7. Connect BTP with the "Check-Engine-Light for your Home" project team from the New York Energy Data Jam.
8. Develop Database of "Early Adopters" of Technologies, with marketing in mind, so that high-potential audience can be better engaged.
9. Develop and implement guidelines for Open Data release (generally better to go towards wholesale or "raw data" instead of retail or "fancy widget")
10. Revise catalog of the Open Datasets within EERE.
Top Datasets & Technologies to be Marketed (M) and Released (R)
(M) Green Button
(M) OpenEI.org --> best new home for Open Data sets
(M) National Geothermal Database --> great example of connecting the dots
(R) Mash-up of the Product Certification Database (from BTP) and GREET
(R) Building Energy Data Book for non-R&D projects
(R) Mash-up of all Program data on consumer products' QR codes and Bar codes
…and many more too numerous to list here…